www.vintageguitarplayers.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New pots for V100

4 posters

Go down

New pots for V100 Empty New pots for V100

Post  johnnyrobbo Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:21 am

I love my V100, but one area where it does seem to have been built down to a price is with the volume & tone pots. The volume controls lose all the treble when I turn them down (I love to use the volume pots to control the gain, so this is a bit of a pain in the neck), and the tone pots seem to be a bit all or nothing too. I've seen various wiring kits available, but one will say "Not suitable for Epiphones" or "Not suitable for Gibson Studio models" & so on. Simple question... which of the kits available on this page is the best to pop into a VIntage V100?

http://www.axesrus.com/axeWiringLP.htm

Any advice appreciated

Cheers,

John.

johnnyrobbo

Back to top Go down

New pots for V100 Empty Re: New pots for V100

Post  AlbionLass Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:15 am

I hope someone knows the answer as this is something I'd like to know too.
AlbionLass
AlbionLass

Back to top Go down

Post  CH Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:27 am

Unless I'm much mistaken if you're only replacing the pot, you don't need any kind of 'wiring kit'. Just get yourself replacement pots as needed and swap the originals out.

And I hope I'm not mistaken, as I'm about to do something similar!

CH

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnyrobbo Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:08 am

A wiring kit is basically just a set of replacement pots & a new switch, which it makes sense to change to something a little more robust if you're changing the pots. It's also useful to replace any hook up wires (also included in the kit) as they form part of the signal chain too & better quality pots can be let down by hanging onto poorer quality switches & hook up wire.

The issue is that some pots are not suitable for certain types of guitar due to shaft length, diameter & other considerations, so it's important to get the right kit for the guitar you're working on.

johnnyrobbo

Back to top Go down

Post  CH Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:28 am

Ah, I see what you mean. I've usually got plenty of wiring and often other spares lying around so I've never needed to go down that route. I'd suggest buying from a bricks-and-mortar shop if possible, then taking in the pot you're replacing would be the solution. Otherwise, break out the measuring tape and compare notes with Axesarus to make sure the offered parts fit - I did that recently with a bridge part for an SG and even though the guy was an eBay trader who had virtually no detail in his listings, he got right back to me with the measurements and I had the correct part the next day.

Incidentally (and probably inconsequentially as the guitar is a few years old, pre-Wilkinson), the switch on mine is perfectly fine, and won't need replacing. The wiring however is pretty insubstantial and the actual control knobs feel like they came out of a Kinder egg!

CH

Back to top Go down

Post  AlbionLass Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:11 pm

I've contacted Axesrus this morning regarding upgrading the pots, caps etc on my Lemon Drop. They replied saying they sell quite a lot of kits for upgrading the Vintage V series and that the Epiphone/Import Upgrade wiring kit is the one to go for but that to use CTS pots the body holes will need to be drilled out to approx 9.5 mm.
AlbionLass
AlbionLass

Back to top Go down

Post  somebodyelseuk Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:40 am

I would have thought just replacing the capacitor would sort it out, maybe even just moving a connection or two. I have to be honest, I haven't had a look at the wiring in detail.
You should be able to get everything at your local guitar shop for pennies.
somebodyelseuk
somebodyelseuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down