www.vintageguitarplayers.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilkinson Humbuckers in V100 models

2 posters

Go down

Wilkinson Humbuckers in V100 models Empty Wilkinson Humbuckers in V100 models

Post  pmclaro Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 am

Hi!

I have been reading about the Wilkinson pickups (which I think are not that bad at all, specially considering the price) and one thing that I have found strange is that people tend to say that the Lemon Drop has better pickups than the other V100 models though the technical sheet says they are exactly the same (even though I'm aware they are connected differently).

I have also been looking at purchasing the Wilkinson Zebra online (because I love the way the zebras look on the guitars) and I have been told the Wilkinson Zebras are PAF humbuckers (perfect for my V100, then). I wanted to install some zebras on my VRS100, but wanted to give it more "modern" sound (with a little more gain), as opposed to my V100.

Can anyone explain me the differences?

Thanks in advance!

Vintage V100 Pickups

Reissued (Regular)
Pickups: Wilkinson® Double Coil x 2 (N) MWVC (B) MWVC

Icon (Tobacco, Honeyburst, etc.)
Pickups: Wilkinson® Double Coil x 2 (N) MWVC (B)MWVC

Lemon Drop
Pickups: Wilkinson® Double Coil x 2 (N) MWVC (B)MWVC

AFD Paradise
Pickups: Wilkinson® WVHZ Humbuckers x 2

pmclaro

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson Humbuckers in V100 models Empty Re: Wilkinson Humbuckers in V100 models

Post  rev48 Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm really glad you started this thread cos its been puzzling me for ages.....
My Lemon Drop sounds different/better than my V100 did with stock Wilkinson Humbuckers
The Lemon Drop (and The Jo Bonamassa gold top) have different pups they have Nickel Covers (not chrome)
The Nickel pups are shown on the JHS website are £5 more expensive....
Having said this I don't think nickel covers alone will make that much difference
The only other differences I know of (other than cosmetic) are
The tuners
The Lemon Drop is heavier (different mahogany maybe???)
And the wiring ( in the test I didn't use out of phase setting)
I am not sure if the LD and Joe Goldtop have different hardware.......
Bearing in mind these differences I am not sure if these account for the differences in sound or if the LD pups have a few extra winds or something
I would love somebody to clarify this.......
rev48
rev48

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson Humbuckers in V100 models Empty Re: Wilkinson Humbuckers in V100 models

Post  pmclaro Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:06 am

This morning I sent an e-mail to Trevor Wilkinson's online shop and I just sent another one to JHS. Let's see if we can bring some light into this matter.

pmclaro

Back to top Go down

Post  pmclaro Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:25 am

Heres the reply from JHS:

"In a nutshell, the V100MRPGM and V100AFD have a particular 'voice' created by the winding inside the pickups. These are different to the rest of the range and are bespoke to those models. Neither of these are available for sale on their own, they only come as part of the guitar. The 'MWVC' etc are the style of pick up only.

The rest of the range have the standard pick ups installed, and these are the ones available to buy separately.
"

Does this mean I am being scammed by the guy that sold me the zebras claiming they were PAF? Question

ps: V100MRPGM is the "Lemon Drop" and V100AFD is the "AFD Paradise"

pmclaro

Back to top Go down

Post  rev48 Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:55 pm

pmclaro wrote:Heres the reply from JHS:

"In a nutshell, the V100MRPGM and V100AFD have a particular 'voice' created by the winding inside the pickups. These are different to the rest of the range and are bespoke to those models. Neither of these are available for sale on their own, they only come as part of the guitar. The 'MWVC' etc are the style of pick up only.

The rest of the range have the standard pick ups installed, and these are the ones available to buy separately.
"

Does this mean I am being scammed by the guy that sold me the zebras claiming they were PAF? Question

ps: V100MRPGM is the "Lemon Drop" and V100AFD is the "AFD Paradise"

Well that sets my ears and mind at rest Laughing
Regarding PAF or Patent Applied For Humbuckers...I believe this is now used as generic name given to vintage voiced Humbuckers.....
Nowadays, the PAF is considered a vintage humbucker with relatively low output and soft, mellow tone. However, original Gibson PAFs are scarce and very expensive, so most major pickup manufacturers produce copies of original PAF design.
So the guy isn't scamming you
If you are aiming for a Slash tone/look zebra PAF's is a good way to go........
This is an excellent article on Slash's Tone
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/The%20Legendary%20Seymour%20Duncan%20o/
rev48
rev48

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down