Tell me about your Joe Bonamassa, and Lemon Drop LPs

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tell me about your Joe Bonamassa, and Lemon Drop LPs

Post  guitargords on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Hello,
Guitargords here. Just thought I'd say that I have sold 5 lemondrops and some where good some weren't. They all need some 0000 grade steel wool on the frets/fingerboard IMHO followed by my favourite product- gorgomyte(see stewmac.com)then a dressing of the fretends and hand rubbed to the body/neck to semigloss. Then they are great.
One owner has Gibson les pauls, rickies, strats, duesenbergs and says his lemon drop is the best.
I will say it was his second as I sent one back with a split in the top.

On another note I was told by the Aussie importer that a batch of necks were left outside the factory and shrunk leaving some fret needing work. I had one icon strat that was so bad it had to go back. The one that replaced it was okay though
guitargords

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zman on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks for that reply. I wish there was more quality control on the Vintage guitars. A lot of people won't tackle the fret level and polish, so it ends up costing them another 100. (As it did me with my Icon GT) You end up with a decent playing guitar but the cost puts it outside the bargain range.
If the lemon drops are the same it doesn't make sense to purchase one.
Other Asian guitars that I have purchased have had no issues with the frets.
If I paid close to 750 with the level, I know I could get a Gibson Studio for that much in the used market and they are (from my experience) a lot better guitar, and will hold their value much better over the years.
Zman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlbionLass on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:08 am

Thankfully there were no fret issues on my Lemon Drop, price wise it isn't so bad over here, the Lemon Drop costs around £270 and a full set up including fret work if needed should only cost around £60-70 still making the guitar competetive with an Epi LP Standard and when you consider the better pups on the Vintage it's still a fairly good deal, of course not all of them will need sush remedial work.

As you say though QC issues are the major gripe with the Vintages, the sooner the message gets back to JHS and to the factories the better.
AlbionLass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zman on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:18 am

Yes, I hope they are taking note of the feedback. Another issue with them getting a foothold in Canada and the US is the price that the shops are quoting. IF you take the price you paid and convert it to US dollars that would be in the 426 dollar range. That is retail. Currently Canadian dollars are on par so why are they quoting prices in the 650 range for a Lemon drop.
I know it would be more to ship to Canada but not 225 a unit. So somewhere along the line the prices are being heavily inflated. For that price the guitar should have no issues.
Hell I paid 379 for a perfect Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat, and the same for the Butterscotch tele.
They are perfect and killer guitars.
Zman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  guitargords on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:15 am

It takes me an hour to 0000 steel wool the fingerboard, file the fret ends(getting rid of any "bloom),gorgomytethe f'board and polish the frets, dress the ends, lube the nut and do an intonation/neck setup. $50 AUD cash. I'm sure Vintage can speed that up and still pay some one just a tad extra to get a better result. I would still gladly pay 5% more on the purchase price for a better setup neck. It still blows epi's out of the water.
guitargords

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hellguitar91 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Hey all,

Just thought I'd chime in on this, I have 2 different Lemon Drops, one I bought new not long ago and one I got second hand. The second hand one I found leaning against a wall in someones lounge room, I assume it had been there a while too as the hardware was getting pretty rusty and had dust all over it Rolling Eyes

The new lemon drop has the lighter relic on it, whereas the second hand one has a much heavier relic and is much darker.

As for the frets, the new one needed a fret dress when I got it and the other one does have a couple of rough spots, but like guitargords says I just hit the frets with some steel wool and that did the trick.

As for the JB v100, I'd love to have a go at one, they look awesome!

hellguitar91

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/hellguitar91?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  AlbionLass on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:05 pm

I think the earlier Lemon Drops did, as you say, have a heavier relic effect on them. The overall finish looks darker in the pictures I've seen and it looks like someone has gone to town with a screwdriver on the top.
I too would like an MRJBM.
AlbionLass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bod on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:04 pm

There's an used Lemon Drop for sale in Rattle and Drum in Derby. It's the older,darker, screwdriver-mauled version, but they're selling it for more than they are new - £299! Shocked
Bod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlbionLass on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:16 pm

It's been there for months...no wonder. I went in and told them I was in the market to buy one and I had the cash in my pocket. Even so they would only come down to £275. I ended up buying online.
AlbionLass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  somebodyelseuk on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:54 pm

£275???

I got mine (Lemondrop) new in April/May for £279.

The relicing on mine... the front just has the edges and the bit just below the strings - accurate to the real thing - BUT it's really crude. It's obviously been done with a sander and is pretty rough. The expensive guitars would more likely be done with fine wet n dry to give a smooth, worn down feel, with no edge. The back and neck of mine is much more realistic - smooth feel with no edge.
In terms of accuracy, the matte finish is just wrong. I've seen the real thing and I can assure you it's as shiny as they come. Now, I'm not bothered one way or the other when it comes to matte finishes - they gloss up where you touch them over a short time anyway - but the finish on mine was really rough, like they had sanded it before the lacquer had dried. I've polished mine up to smooth the finish and, admittedly, it makes no difference to how it plays or sounds, but the guitar now looks a whole lot more the part - it looks as classy as it should, more like an old guitar, rather than a badly finished new one.

As I've said elsewhere, it's a spectacular guitar for the money.
somebodyelseuk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlbionLass on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 am

Mine is a recent one but the reliced areas have no edge to them, you can't feel any real diffence as you move your fingers over the top. The top in general is finished smooth, semi-matt but silky smooth.
AlbionLass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top